Homemade food for the holidays!

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #Homemade4TheHolidays #CollectiveBias

Hover over the image below to start shopping for Swanson® Chicken Broth and Campbell's® Cream Soups!

















The holidays...it’s my favorite time of the year!


The family, the gatherings, the food. Did I mention the food?

Oh, how I love homemade food for the holidays!


Nothing says love, family, and holidays like home cooking and comfort food. One of my favorite comfort foods just so happens to be my mama’s Chicken n’ Dumplings. It’s delicious, warm, easy to make, filling, full of memories, and feeds a enormous amount of people. You only need a handful of ingredients which can be picked up at your local Sam’s Club.


I’m not sure why I thought this recipe was difficult to make as a child??? It’s not. I asked my mom for the recipe...and more importantly how to make it? My mind was blown by the straightforward steps.
You’ll need:





I enjoy Swanson® Chicken Broth for many reasons!
  • The packaging is resealable.
  • It’s America’s #1 selling broth.
  • Nothing artificial added (no MSG, no artificial flavors or preservatives). Plus it’s 100% Natural.
  • Swanson® Chicken Broth has a perfectly balanced flavor from chickens farm raised in the USA cooked with vegetables and herbs picked at the peak of freshness.
I choose Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup because of the fabulous flavor! This product also has no artificial flavors, colors or preservatives.
Both of these products are what I would call pantry basics. I always have them in my pantry...these are staples in so many of my recipes. This is why I purchase these products at Sam’s Club. I can buy them in bulk and even if I only use one container of Swanson® Chicken Broth I can keep the other 5 for another day...the same applies to Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup pantry packs.
If you choose not to use all of these products you can use the extras to give back!
With it being the holidays... I thought there has to be a better use for the delicious cans of soup and cartons of fabulous broth.
I decided to send mine over to my local women’s shelter. My church partners with the awesome organization that offers housing, food, and other items for free to women and children in need. They simply these women’s lives so that they can get back on their feet. In order to make this happen they rely heavily on donations... donations like simply pantry items.
Ok. Back to this simple recipe.





Step one: boil your whole chicken. For about an hour. { if looking for a shorter cook time please see moderation at the end of this post }
Step two: while chicken is cooking...mix flour and spices together.




Step three: tear biscuits into small pieces...three or four pieces per biscuit.




Step four: roll dough into balls.





Step five: toss dough into flour and spices.




Step six: once chicken is cooked remove from water. Set aside and allow to cool.




DO NOT DISCARD WATER.




Step seven: depending on the amount of people you’re feeding...add ½ carton of Swanson® Chicken Broth for a smaller batch (feeds 4-6 people) and for a larger batch add one full carton (feeds 8-10)






Step eight: add one can of Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup for a small batch and two cans for a large batch. Stir with a whisk and bring to a low boil. Stir until Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup has mixed evenly.







Step nine: add the dumplings to the pot. Stir. Bring to a low boil...cook...about 20-25 minutes.




Dumplings will rise to the top. Stir occasionally...you can cut dumplings in half to see if the dough is cooked all the way through.




If sauce seems too runny. Sprinkle a little flour (and I do mean a LITTLE flour) (you can use the flour from the dumplings) and mix. Wait a few minutes...and add more flour if needed...repeat until sauce is thick. Do NOT add too much flour or it will clump up.


By now, your chicken should be cooled off...shred and debone. Add chicken to the pot and it’s ready to serve!!





This kind of dish can really bring a family together. Your whole house is filled with the aroma of food, while cooking. The warmth and flavor of chicken and dumplings is the perfect addition to the holiday season.


Don’t be put off by the cook time of this dish. Yes, start to finish is over an hour...however...it doesn’t need to be tended to the whole time. You can cook your chicken and play a family game while it boils...you can make a craft...read some books...simply enjoy each other.


If you don’t like that amount of cook time. Here are two moderations…
MODERATION(S) ON RECIPE:
••{{{ If cooking a whole chicken isn’t your thing...or you are looking for a quicker cook time...you can simply cook or boil a 3-4 chicken breast. This will cut cook time by 30 mins. You will just add 1 more container of chicken broth. This will be necessary because your water will be bland without a whole chicken...Swanson® Chicken Broth will add all the flavor you will need. }}}••


••{{{ cook the chicken in the slow cooker! Add 1 more container of broth. Then prep time is only 30 mins. }}}•••


Now, clearly I didn’t use all the cans in this case. What should I do with all these left over cans? I could keep them in my pantry for a later recipe...that is a practical and great solution.
With it being the holidays... I thought there has to be a better use for the delicious cans of soup and cartons of fabulous broth.
I decided to send mine over to my local women’s shelter. My church partners with the awesome organization that offers housing, food, and other items for free to women and children in need. They simply these women’s lives so that they can get back on their feet. In order to make this happen they rely heavily on donations... donations like simply pantry items.
Who would you give back to if you could?




Be sure to head over to Sam's Club for all you will need for this recipe.
Sam’s Club will be hosting their annual Holiday Taste of Sam's event, a huge in-club demo sampling occasion. Swanson® Chicken Broth will be sampled with Idahoan Mashed Potatoes on Dec 21 & 22.
Not only can you do some sampling but you will also be able to take advantage of the temporary price reduction of $1.50 off Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Chicken Soup, and Campbell's® Condensed Cream of Mushroom Soup!!







Check out more Campbell's® Cream Soups and Swanson® Chicken Broth holiday recipes and inspiration here.